Carpenter ants are one of the pests that tend to attack most homes in the United States. They’re usually black, small, and they like to make their nests in the wood. Carpenter ants usually like to dig into the wood to get inside your home. So, they tend to prefer dead woods that they can more easily use as a tunnel.
One of the main problems, when you have a carpenter ant infestation in your home, is the fact that they will not only invade your kitchen looking for food as they will also damage any wood they can find to make their nests. Unlike termites, the carpenter ants don’t actually eat the wood. However, they just chew out their passageways. And this can become a severe problem if you don’t realize their presence inside your home. So, it’s important to take action as soon as you see the first signs:
– When you’re looking for a carpenter ants infestation, the first thing you need to do is to look at the dry wood you have around your home. Any damp, decaying, old, or already damaged wood is the perfect spot for their nests and this would be their first target.
– Another thing to look for is wood shavings. Since carpenter ants don’t eat wood but, instead, they chew it, you may be able to find some shavings around their nests.
– Trying to listening to the ants in your walls is also something that you should check. You’ll be able to hear a rustling sound. The first walls that you should try to listen to are the ones near window and door frames as well as walls that have the home plumbing, like near the kitchen or bathroom.
– In case you can spot a carpenter ant inside your home, you’re probably looking at a worker ant. So, you have a good chance to discover where the nest is. However, they can only be there looking for food or water.
– The best time of the day to check if you have carpenter ants in your kitchen looking for water and food is during the night. Just use a flashlight to see if you see them.
– One of the characteristics of the carpenter ants is the fact that they can go look for water and food at a long distance from their nest. So, you may take a while to find their nest. You can first spot the worker ants in your kitchen but their nest may be located 2 or 3 floors up, in your attic, for example.
But how to get rid of carpenter ants?
There are multiple ways on how to get rid of carpenter ants. Here are the 5 best options in the market:
#1: TERRO Carpenter Ant & Termite Killer Aerosol Spray
The TERRO Carpenter Ant & Termite Killer Aerosol Spray is definitely one of the best ways you have on how to get rid of carpenter ants. This 2-way precision spray will allow you to kill carpenter ants on contact. All you need to do is to direct the spray into the infested wood and walls where the ants have their nests. When you use the TERRO Carpenter Ant & Termite Killer Aerosol Spray, you can be sure that you will not only kill all the carpenter ants as you will also have a residual control for up to 4 weeks.
One of the best advantages, when you’re using the TERRO Carpenter Ant & Termite Killer Aerosol Spray, is the fact that you won’t notice any strange odor and it won’t stain anything.
#2: Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel-1 Tube BA1023-1
The Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel-1 Tube BA1023-1 is another way you have when you’re looking for a way on how to get rid of carpenter ants.
Despite it can also target other ant types like honey, odorous home, pharaoh, pavement, thief, among others, the Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel-1 Tube BA1023-1 is specially designed for the carpenter ants.
This bait gel uses a high moisture content that will attract these ants. Then, when the ants go back to their nest, they spread the bait to the entire colony, killing all the carpenter ants.
You should put the baits inside any crevices and cracks that you can find and you should wait 3 to 5 days to see that the situation has been controlled.
#3: Advance Carpenter Ant Bait-8 oz 669578
When you’re using the Advance Carpenter Ant Bait-8 oz 669578 as a way on how to get rid of carpenter ants, you’ll notice that it may take a few days for you to stop seeing any carpenter ants.
The Advance Carpenter Ant Bait-8 oz 669578 includes food and a delayed-action insecticide Abamectin in the bait. This will attract the carpenter ants and will be able to control the infestation because the egg production will be immediately interrupted.
#4: Bayer Carpenter Ant Control Kit, carpenter Ant Gel, bait
The Bayer Carpenter Ant Control Kit, carpenter Ant Gel, bait includes a gel bait and a granular bait as well. This will give you one of the best solutions not only to kill all the carpenter ants as well as to prevent they come back in again into your house. The Bayer Carpenter Ant Control Kit, carpenter Ant Gel, bait has a delayed effect to make sure that it affects all the ants and kills them. So, it may take a few days for you to notice the results.
#5: Bayer Advanced 700310 Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer Plus Concentrate
The Bayer Advanced 700310 Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer Plus Concentrate can be used both inside your home as well as in the outdoor as well. Sometimes, the carpenter ants like to hide their nests on those piles of wood that you have right outside your home. So, if this is the case, you can use the Bayer Advanced 700310 Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer Plus Concentrate.
One of the main advantages of the Bayer Advanced 700310 Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer Plus Concentrate is that it kills the carpenter ants on contact.
Here are the top 5 ways you have on how to get rid of carpenter ants from your home. Unfortunately, these aren’t the only ants or pests that like to take advantage of your home when looking for food or water. So, make sure to read our tips on getting rid of pests.